Is binge eating disorder related to trama? Why would trama cause an eating disorder, how is it related?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Eating DO

If self image or self esteem issues are involved.

In brief: Eating DO

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Donald Jacobson
If extreme nausea and disgust are part of the trauma, a person may reenact the trauma by forcing themselves to eat something they really do not want to eat (often in response to their eating disorders voice) and then vomiting the grossness out afterwards as a reenactment of the unconscious trauma if repressed.
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology

In brief: It's complicated

I hope i don't just confuse you with this.
Any psychologically based disorder (not purely physical) can be brought into expression by trauma. Some do seem more likely than others, but not enough to rule any out. Trauma can make us hunger for control (protection). Many dx's (definitely eating disorders) are understandable as efforts for control. I'll try to help if this was unclear. Got it?

In brief: It's complicated

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. Lynne Weixel
2 comments
Dr. Alan Ali
Nope.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Oral rape is a well-known cause for PTSD-induced eating disorders. Other psychopaths that force children to eat gross body parts, raw dead animals, insects, live baby rodents, or even blood suckers by the cup-full can cause this. And, yes, I've encountered all of these in my years of practice.
Dr. Adam Levy