I can't fall asleep at all no matter how much I try. Do I have insomnia or just too much going on?

In brief: Sleep

I agree w dr. Brodner. Here are some additional sleep hygiene tips.
1. Keep a regular bedtime & wakening time (to include weekends). Get up the same time each day, regardless of what time you fell asleep. 2. Make a regular, relaxing bedtime routine. Relaxing rituals prior to bedtime may include a warm bath or shower, aroma therapy, reading, or listening to gentle music. 3. Sleep in a dark, .

In brief: Sleep

quiet, cool room on comfortable mattress & pillows. 4. Use the bedroom only for sleep & sex. Have work materials, computers, & TVs in another room. 5. Finish eating at least 2-3 hs prior to your regular bedtime. 6. No caffeine within 6 hours; alcohol & smoking within 2 hrs of bedtime. Alcoholism is a major cause for insomnia. 7. Exercise regularly; finish a few hours before bedtime. 8. No naps. 9. Go to bed only when sleepy. Lay in bed only for sleeping, not for work or watching TV. 10. Designate another time to write down problems & possible solutions in the late afternoon or early evening, not close to bedtime. 11. After 10-15 minutes of not being able to get to sleep, go to another room to read or watch TV until sleepy. Consider chamomile tea before bed. Warm milk. Lavender oil in bath or lavender scent on pillow. Melatonin is very helpful. Acupuncture often works well for insomnia.
Dr. David Brodner
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Actually, both

Difficulty falling asleep is a common form of insomnia.
The problem is often caused by the sufferer ruminating over the everyday issues and stressors that plague us all, instead of allowing the brain to 'relax' and drift off to sleep. The solution? Reserve 15 minutes prior to bedtime to review all of your problems. After this 'worry time', then relax (no TV and no more worry!) and sleep.

In brief: Actually, both

Dr. David Brodner
Dr. David Brodner
Dr. Steven Seres