Is there something I could have done to prevent ra?

Dr. Robert Coats II
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: No
It is likely a combination of genetic predisposition and environmental factors.
I have not seen any effective preventative measures. Try not to worry about the why and focus on treatment. See a board certified rheumatologist for evaluation and treatment.

In brief: No
Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Robert Coats II
In brief: No
There is currently no known way to prevent rheumatoid arthritis (ra).
However, the disease may be slowed down and suppressed (block the symptoms) if treatment is started early. That means people with repeated joint pains or joint swelling should get seen by a primary care doctor to see if it might be ra.

In brief: No
Dr. Peter Kurzweil