My baby's planned genetic testing bloodwork was cancelled when stillborn, was this unjustified?

Dr. Scott McLean
Clinical Genetics

In brief: Probably not

We are very sorry you lost your baby.
When a couple suffers the loss of a pregnancy or a child, a different set of medical questions comes up, and this require very different kinds of medical and genetic tests to give you the best answer to the question, "why did this happen?" the usual genetic screening tests are not as complete or useful.

In brief: Probably not

We are very sorry you lost your baby.
Dr. Scott McLean
Dr. Scott McLean

In brief: Depends

Genetic testing is a broad term that incumpasses hundreds of heritable metabolic or chromasome defects.
What u were looking for & how you would use the info is important. If u are young & trying to decide on future pregnancies based on this data it could have been helpful. I encourage you to explore your concerns with a genetic counselor as s/he may be able to provide that answer.

In brief: Depends

Pathology

In brief: Screen for diseases

Please accept my condolences at your loss.
Newborn testing is aimed at detecting treatable disorders in the baby. Since the baby was not born alive, testing would not have been of any use to the baby.

In brief: Screen for diseases

Dr. Cindy Juster