When will augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) reduce swelling from tooth abscess?

Tooth abscess. If you are self medicating, probably never (without also treating the cause of the infection). If it was prescribed by a dentist, you need to discuss what to expect from the prescribing dentist. Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) would not be my first choice of antibiotics for dental infections. If the swelling does not diminish within 2-3 days, you need to let your dentist know that immediately.If it worsens, even sooner.
What's the source? Depending on the 4 origins / sources of abscess(from gum. Tip of the root, fracture, or previous root canal) then augmentin(anti-biotic) may work , but that only for short period of time.. Until the source of abscess is treated, cleaned, or cleared. See ur dentist, or his/ her referral soon.
Usually 48-72 hours. The key here is usually. Many dental infections may never respond to Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) (or any antibiotic for that matter). The best option is to address the source with treatment rather than medicine. Some infections could require drainage in order to become susceptible to antibiotics.
Yes for a short time. The source of infection is inside your tooth in the pulp space. If it is not cleaned out the bacteria will constantly leak out into your jaw bone and the bone will get re-infected. By taking Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) (too broad spectrum in my opinion) you may develop drug resistance and make it harder to treat in the future. However, taking antibiotics will usually buy you some time. See your dentist asap.
2-3 days. But it is only temporary relief; you need to get the problem addressed. Check with your dentist.