Question about ACL reconstruction? Risk vs benefit to me?

Dr. Lynn Lindaman
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Most benefit
The acl is not only the anterior cruciate ligament but also the crucial ligament for stability of the knee.
Most younger or more active patients will function better and have fewer knee problems with their acl reconstructed.

In brief: Most benefit
Dr. Lynn Lindaman
Dr. Lynn Lindaman
Dr. Vishal Shah
Every individual is different, but most active individuals will benefit from the restoration of stability. The adverse events/risks from ACL surgery are generally outweighed by the benefits.
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Sports Medicine
In brief: How old/active?
Depends on physiologic age, activity levels, if and how much does it interfere with those activities or your activities of daily living.
It is possible to live and be active without an acl, usually with the help of a specific brace. There are risks to surgery and required down time from work that factor into your decision as well.

In brief: How old/active?
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Risks vs Benefits
I agree with dr. Lindaman, but i would encourage you to have a detailed conversation with your surgeon on this matter. Every patient is individual.
One isolated recent study showed only a 50% rate of return to pre-injury activity, but that is only one study. The point is that it must be tailored to you and we need a lot more information to be helpful.

In brief: Risks vs Benefits
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine