My bad cholesterol is 240 but good cholesterol is 89. Do I need to be on cholesterol medication?

Only your doctor. Can answer your question. It depends on your risk factors for heart disease. There are other ways to reduce your risk, too, like low-saturated-fat diet, exercise, quitting smoking if you smoke, and losing weight if you're overweight. If your LDL is high your doctor may recommend medication as well.
Bad good cholestrol. By these numbers I can deduct non hdlcholesterol being 151.Without knowing your other risk factors like hypertension, obesity, diabetes, family history of heart disease and smoking, it is difficult to advice but as a general rule we prefer to have non hdlcholesterol below 100.You should try it by life style modification with diet and exercise and if it does not work then meds like statins or fibrates.