If I don't get stitches right away on an open wound cut. How long do I have until I can't get them no more?

Dr. Annette Occhialini
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Depends on where
The longer a cut is left open before closing with sutures the higher the risk of infection after closing.
Some areas such as the face have such an abundant blood supply that it may be safer to close an older cut than say one on the leg. If it is past about six hours it may not be advisable to close.

In brief: Depends on where
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Emergency Medicine
In brief: 6 to 24 hours
The risk of developing infection in a wound that is sutured (stiched) begins to rise when the suture repair is delayed more than 6 hours and rises dramatically after 12 hours.
Most emergency physicians will not attempt to close a wound after 24 hrs unless the wound is very large or there are cosmetic issues such as with facial wounds.

In brief: 6 to 24 hours
Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care