Why does hernia hurt 6 months after surgery?

Dr. Gregg Nishi
Bariatrics

In brief: Hernia

Everyone is different.
Some people feel fine in 2-4 weeks, others have pain for months. It all depends on what type of hernia it was, how large it was, how it was repaired, etc. Sometimes the mesh can cause pain because it causes (intentionally) an intense scarring reaction. You can take anti-inflammatory meds to help. It should get better with time.

In brief: Hernia

Everyone is different.
Dr. Joseph Sucher
Surgery - Trauma

In brief: Common

Hernia surgery often results in prolonged pain or discomfort.
Generally it is expected to last as l g as 6 months, but may continue use for as long as a year. Occasionally this can be a symptom of problems that may need correction. I recommend that you schedule a visit with your surgeon for an exam.

In brief: Common

Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery