Which blood test would I need to test for diabetes? Metabolic panel?

Diabetes testing. The current testing guidelines for type 2 diabetes are hemogloblobin A1c (over 6.5%), fasting blood glucose (>126) and 2 hr blood glucose (>200). Symptoms that suggest you need to be tested include symptoms of hyperglycemia (such as frequent urination, increased thirst, blurred vision) or hyperglycemic crisis with random plasma glucose ? 200 mg/dl. If this is you, see your doc right away.
FASTING sugar. Diabetes can be diagnosed on fasting blood sugar (>125) which can be ordered on its own or part of a fasting panel (bmp, cmp-metabolic panel). Another popular test is a glycohemaglobin A1c or just A1c for short. An A1c measures your average blood sugar for the last 3 months. Generally a normal a1c<6%.