Why are you supposed to sleep in an upright position after deviated septum surgery and for how long after?

Helps with swelling. Sleeping with your head slightly elevated (on a couple of pillows) helps reduce the postoperative swelling after nasal surgery.
Decrease swelling. Sleeping upright will help to decrease swelling. This will help to speed your recovery.
Septoplasty. Sleeping with your head in an elevated position after surgery prevents excessive swelling. be sure to follow your surgeon's postop instructions.