Supposedly, cold weather is not a direct cause of sickness. But, my nose gets runny in the cold (when i'm not sick and don't get sick). Why is this?

Dr. Gregory Hines
In brief: Not supposedly
Viruses cause illness, not cold air. That said, the cold air will cause shock to the nasal blood vessels, and cause them to leak fluid, causing your nose to run.

In brief: Not supposedly
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: Vaso-motor Rhinitis
Runny nose with cold exposure is very common and is due to the 'reactivity' of the nasal mucosa.
Cold exposure causes the small blood vessels in the nose to 'leak fluid' . Prescription anti-cholinergic nasal sprays (atrovent) may help prevent such leakage. My patients who ski/board or do winter sports note the problem the most. Hope that helps.

In brief: Vaso-motor Rhinitis
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Andrea Brand