I am so scared of general anesthesia/surgery. Any advice?

Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology
In brief: Get information!
Get information about the surgery you need, and about the kind of anesthesia that may be best for it.
Talk with the anesthesiologist ahead of time so you have a better idea what to expect. Anesthesia and surgery carry risks, so check on the reputation of the doctors and hospital. Then you'll know you're in good hands. Once you're in the preop area, you can have a sedative to help you relax.

In brief: Get information!
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Ly Phan
Surgery
In brief: It is understandable
Going through surgery is tough for everyone.
But it is a necessary thing in order to take care of your problem. We as physician, surgeons, put you through this because we believe our decision will give you more benefit than risks.

In brief: It is understandable
Dr. Ly Phan
Dr. Ly Phan
In brief: Very safe
It is not usual to be afraid of surgery and anesthesia.
Talk to some one who went through similar procedure, speak to your family physician . Your surgeon and anesthetist will be happy to discuss with you before surgery, explain why you are afraid. You are luckier than your grandparents, due to remarkable progress for safety happened since that time.

In brief: Very safe
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
In brief: Normal fear
It is normal to be afraid.
We would worry if not. Don't let it keep you from getting healthy.

In brief: Normal fear
It is normal to be afraid.
Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Many Ways
Anxiety before surgery is to be expected.
I suggest methods of relaxation such as meditation, music, exercise, sexual activity (protection), moderate use of alcohol (if ok with surgeon), family/friends support. I also ask patients to remember that objectively speaking, they should be aware that they will be safer during the time of surgery that driving on the freeway. Best wishes.

In brief: Many Ways
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Richard Pollard
Please don't use the alcohol, your anesthesiologist will not be happy, otherwise agree with the above.
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology
In brief: Hydrate
I always suggest to my patients that they hydrate before an operation.
I fell that this decreases their chance of nausea and vomiting after an anesthetic, as well as decrease their chances of major blood pressure swings. I would talk to your anesthesiologist and see if they have other suggestions to make your experience as good as possible.

In brief: Hydrate
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery