Why would I get blood shot eyes after wearing my contacts?

Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Ophthalmology

In brief: Dryness

Soft contact lenses are a "barrier" to oxygen permeability of the cornea.
Wearing poorly fitted contacts, wearing contacts for too many hours in the day, sleeping in contacts, not changing contacts regularly can all lead to dryness and poor oxygen delivery to the cornea. Dryness and poor oxygen delivery can lead to red, irritated eyes.

In brief: Dryness

Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Many causes

Your eyes can get red from contact lense overwear, infection under the lense (corneal ulcer) , other types of infection, ordinary conjunctivitis or inflammation inside the eye.
Most bad things will happen in one eye only. But you need to have your ophthalmologist evaluate your eyes quickly before a beginning problem gets serious.

In brief: Many causes

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Arnon Rubin