New flashes of light in both eyes, can this be retinal detachment or tear?

Flashes and floaters. The classic visual symptoms of retinal detachment are light flashes, floaters, and loss of vision. Someone who experiences these symptoms should see an ophthalmologist immediately for evaluation.
Both. Persistent flashes of light, floaters can be a simple posterior vitreous detachment to something as serious and sight-threatening as a retinal tear or detachment. You should see your eye doctor as soon as possible for a thorough eye exam.
Flashes. It sounds as if you have had a posterior vitreous detachment. This is a situation where the vitreous(jelly) of the eye detaches (not a retinal detachment), it then "crumples" up leaving dots, spots, strands of blurry vitreous; i.e. The "floater". The tugging from the vitreous causes the flashes. You are at risk of a retinal detachment and should be examined.