Chewing gum a bad idea after teeth scaling and having deep pockets in some areas worse in the back?

Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: Sugerless OK

Because your gums and teeth may be sensitive after a scaling gum chewing may feel uncomfortable and you might get a little bleeding.
However as long as it is sugarless gum you are not damaging any thing by chewing gum.

In brief: Sugerless OK

Dr. Delitha Taylor
Dentistry

In brief: Gum disease

It appears that you have gum disease.
Your teeth may have some mobility. Good occlusion ( how your teeth contact one another) is important for healing of your pockets. I would refrain from chewing gum until your condition is stable.

In brief: Gum disease

It appears that you have gum disease.
Dr. John DeWolf
Dentistry

In brief: Not necessarily

Gum with xylitol rather than sugar can be beneficial if chewed several times over the course of a day.
Balance this against muscle or TMJ soreness that often results from excessive gum chewing.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Peter Kurzweil