Can a patient with history of drinking get a liver transplant?

Dr. Ralph Layman
Surgery - Transplant

Most centers in the US require a documented 6 month sobriety.
If you restart drinking after a transplant your outcome will be poor.

Dr. Ralph Layman
Dr. Ralph Layman

In brief: Liver transplant

Exclusively if you can stop, demonstrate sobriety with complete abstinence for six months and complete intensive outpatient therapy.
Ultimately, all transplant programs have a listing committee that oversees this process.

In brief: Liver transplant

Dr. Jonathan Fridell
Dr. Jonathan Fridell
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology

Yes, but the patient has to be abstinent for 1 year prior to the tranpslantation, and meet all the other transplant criteria.

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Ralph Layman
Surgery - Transplant

In brief: Center dependent

6 months alcohol free vs.
12 or 18. It is going to be dependent on the particular transplant center. The places I have trained and work routinely require 6 months. Some centers may want 12. And I do agree you must meet all other criteria. What i want most to get across is that above all. You cannot drink alcohol after a liver transplant!

In brief: Center dependent

6 months alcohol free vs.
Dr. Ralph Layman
Dr. Ralph Layman