What can I do to help improve my sleep routine?

ImproveSleep Hygiene. Sleep hygiene are habits to help improve sleep. They include avoiding alcohol, tobacco and caffeine within 5-6 hours of the desired bedtime, exercise 4-5 hours before desired bedtime, avoid eating in bed, avoid reading in bed, avoid watching tv in bed and try to stick with set bedtimes and rises times weekdays and weekends. These are just general guidelines to follow.
Create a routine. Have a short consistent bedtime routine involving a couple of activities that help you wind down. Ideas: hot bath, stretching, writing in a journal, reading, prayer, breathing exercises, dimming lights & turning off electronics. Also create a sleep haven by eliminating light, sound and sleep interruptions as much as possible. Avoid stimulants-nicotine & caffeine especially!
Sleep Hygiene. Sleep hygiene includes numerous recommendations including - cool, dark, and quiet room for sleep, maintaining a similar bedtime and awake pattern all week, avoiding exercise, tobacco, caffeine, and alcohol 4-6 hours before going to bed, and rising from bed if not asleep in 20 minutes and stay in a darkly lit area for 15-20 minutes before returning to bed.
Train your brain. One way to train your brain is to go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time 7 days per week. Of these the most important is getting up at the same time daily.