The bottoms of my feet often feel like they're on fire. I don't have diabetes...Am told it's a neuroma. What can I do besides soaking in cold water?

Dr. Robert Kent
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Meds, surgery

You can consider a minor surgery to remove a neuroma.
It would be a little more rare to have neuromas on both feet but this does happen. You could have neuropathy from a number of issues other than diabetes and you should discuss the multitude of things that can cause neuropathies with your doc. A nerve pain medicine like Gabapentin also may help. Try contrast baths instead of just cold.

In brief: Meds, surgery

Dr. Robert Kent
Dr. Robert Kent
Dr. Steven Hill
I agree with the above - you might also make sure you are wearing good shoes with adequate insoles and not walking around barefoot. At the end of the day using ice to the bottom of the feet might also help.
Dr. Atif Haque
Neurosurgery

In brief: See doctor

I doubt that a "neuroma" would be causing both you feet symptoms.
Other things besides diabetes can cause neuropathy. I would check with your doctor and consider a neurology evaluation.

In brief: See doctor

Dr. Atif Haque
Dr. Atif Haque
Dr. Jefferson Chen
Neurosurgery

In brief: Further evaluation

If the neuroma affects the balls of the feet and is between the 3rd and 4th toe, this is often referred to as a morton's neuroma.
Consult an orthopedic surgeon who might discuss steroid injections or surgical excision as possible options.

In brief: Further evaluation

Dr. Jefferson Chen
Dr. Jefferson Chen
Dr. Charles Coleman
General Practice

In brief: Rheumatoid Arthritis

Could also be very very early rheumatoid condition caused by tnf.
See a very good rheumatologist. Usually steroid injections i.e.Dexamethasone works well.Cold water also works well.Check aso antibody titer and tnf.

In brief: Rheumatoid Arthritis

Dr. Charles Coleman
Dr. Charles Coleman
Dr. Chaim Colen
Both feet? Do you have a neuroma on both feet?