How did my child catch chicken pox?

Chickenpox. Chickenpox is caused by a virus called varicella zoster. The virus is passed through oral and nasal secretions and close contact of unprotected individuals. If your child is immunized and becomes ill with chickenpox chances are the disease will be very mild. The better immunization rates with our children create protection for all our kids. Currently the vaccine is given at ages 1 and 4 years.
Virus alert. Chickenpox is caused by a virus, just like colds and many childhood illnesses. You "catch" these illnesses by being exposed to the virus. Most commonly it is from someone else who has the virus - another child with chickenpox, or even an adult with shingles. The virus can live on surfaces, though, so you can touch an "infected item", such as a shopping cart touched by someone who had the virus.