Why after a total removal of the thyroid are we (me & my sister) experiencing swelling in feet and ankles? Removed due to cancer

Dr. Payam Mehranpour
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Edema

Swelling may be due to hypothyroidism, i.
e. Low levels of thyroid hormone. Labs should be able to tell if you are getting enough supplement therapy. There are many other reasons for swelling in the legs as well. Discuss with your doctor. May need further work up.

In brief: Edema

Dr. Janet Kail
Podiatry

In brief: Adjust thyroid med

After thyroidectomy it may take awhile for your doctor(s) to get the dosing of thyroid replacement medication adjusted.
It sounds like you may be low on thyroid medication or hypothyroid. Talk to your surgeon and or endocrinologist or pcp...Whoever is managing your medication and see if they want to repeat bloodwork and possibly adjust medication.

In brief: Adjust thyroid med

Dr. Jack Hinkle