What mineral and vitamin supplement helps reduce autism?

Dr. Howard Gollup

In brief: Wish that were so...

Although the internet abounds with stories of children with autism improving with certain vitamins, dietary supplements, and special diets, there is not evidence that any of these treatments help most children with autism. My patients are free to try these (if safe) if they want, though i don't endorse them. I wish there was a simple nutritional solution to this very difficult condition.

In brief: Wish that were so...

Dr. Howard Gollup
Dr. Howard Gollup
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
With all due respect Dr. Gollup is unaware of some published research. Do a google search for autism.asu.edu. Jim Adams PhD at Arizona state has a nice summary of published studies that do show an effect.
Dr. Kristen Stuppy

In brief: Not known

Unfortunately there is no known way to reduce the risk of autism.
Anyone who has a "cure" that seems to good to be true should be told it is not true.

In brief: Not known

Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen

In brief: Complicated

There is proof. Do a google search for autism.
asu.edu. Jim Adams PhD at Arizona state has a nice summary of published studies that do show an effect. Some of the studies are small, and not all of them are the gold standard "double blind, placebo controlled", but to say there is no evidence is not accurate. For example Vit B6/Magnesium has shown benefit. Check : medmaps.org to find out more.

In brief: Complicated

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: None proven

there are none proven by double blind controlled study to improve the function of autistic individuals.

In brief: None proven

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Shontae Buffington