How can I minimize scrubbing on burnt pots and pans?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: Medical question?
Doctors have to wash dishes as much as anybody else, but this question is not our best expertise.
Still, one can soak burnt pots & pans in hot water and soap to see if the burnt food loosens up. If this doesn't work you need to scrub -- or consult with someone more informed about kitchen cleaning ideas. Good luck and happy cooking.

In brief: Medical question?
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Thomas Wright
Phlebology
In brief: Sugar and water
If you have burnt on sugar, simply fill the pan partway with water and reheat, then pour it out.
Barkeeper's friend, sold in stores, is a mild abrasive with added oxalic acid which helps dissolve residue to minimize scrubbing.

In brief: Sugar and water
Dr. Thomas Wright
Dr. Thomas Wright
Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology
In brief: Good question
You live in Palo Alto.
I'm sure someone at Stanford has been researching this and can give you a good answer. I'd ask someone in the chemistry department. Don't email, just call them up and ask. If that doesn't work, you might try the cafeteria.

In brief: Good question
You live in Palo Alto.
Dr. Mark Fisher
Dr. Mark Fisher
Dr. Gregory Hines
In brief: Medical
You do realize that this is a medical board.

In brief: Medical
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines