Is the pain in my jaw from muscles or from joints?

Dr. Slade Suchecki

In brief: Consider

Consider the cause.
Also, consider an evaluation by an osteopathic physician as there may be a manipulative technique which may help your symptoms and treat or augment your treatment.

In brief: Consider

Consider the cause.
Dr. Slade Suchecki
Dr. Slade Suchecki
2 comments
Dr. David Wyatt
Agree Dr Sucheki! I have had some patients get great relief from manipulative treatments... sorry i forgot that in my initial response!!
Dr. Arthur Heller
If the pain comes and goes, especially with exercise or stress, make sure it is not a cardiac cause (anginal equivalent). Don't know you to tell if that is a real consideration
Dr. David Wyatt

In brief: Could be both

Tmj - or temperomandibularjoint pain - pain and tenderness at the hinge area of the jaw bone - is a syndrome of inflammation of the joint - but the muscles around the joint can get inflamed too.
Treatments are guided by the cause - may need dental / or / ENT evaluation to decide best course of action.

In brief: Could be both

Dr. David Wyatt
Dr. David Wyatt
Dr. Duane Keller
Dentistry

In brief: Source of pain

Most pain comes from muscles, but joints can also become inflammed.
Palpate the point of pain and if palpations cause the pain to change, then that is the probable source. Open and closing the jaw can cause either joint, muscle or both to become sore.

In brief: Source of pain

Dr. Duane Keller
Dr. Duane Keller
Dr. Philip Rosenblum

In brief: Touch your temples

The masseter muscle inserts(attaches) onto an area just above the temples on each side of you head.
If there tenderness there, it's like to be a muscular problem.

In brief: Touch your temples

Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Philip Rosenblum