How to respond to people who are new cancer patient?

In brief: With kindness
How a person responsds to the diagnosis of cancer will be individual.
It will depend on their personality and support structure. It will also depend on the type of cancer and the prognosis. You should be supportive and kind. You will have to judge how best to handle your friend based on your knowledge. You can always research about their cancer so you can have a better understanding.

In brief: With kindness
Dr. Ronald Dreifuss
Dr. Ronald Dreifuss
Pathology
In brief: With compassion
You may offer to help in transportation, taking care of pet etc.
While the person is occupied with his/her treatment.

In brief: With compassion
Dr. Helen Mabry
Surgery
In brief: Be normal
A lot of my cancer patients say, "i don't want everyone to feel sorry for me.
" some people want to talk about their diagnosis and some do not. It is best to simply be friendly and act normal. Do not avoid the person with cancer. If he or she wants to talk about it just listen and try not to make sweeping statements. There is a lot of variability in cancers from terminal to minimal effects.

In brief: Be normal
Dr. Helen Mabry
Dr. Helen Mabry
Dr. Adam Smith