Will developmental testing tell if my daughter has autism?

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Done Properly..

If done by qualified experts , it should be able to make the diagnosis if it is present.

In brief: Done Properly..

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Glen Elliott
It does depend somewhat on the age. Autism is much harder to diagnose in very young children, under 18 months of age. With children 2 years and older, skilled clinicians knowledgable about autism should be able to give a firm diagnosis. Milder cases, where symptoms are not as clear or severe may delay when a firm diagnosis is possible.
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Suggestive

Developmental testing alone can be suggestive of autism.
There are more specific screening tools used by clinical psychologist. I would consult one in addition to your pediatrician.

In brief: Suggestive

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: If specific for AD,

Autistic disorder is now the name for all asd's.
Developmental testing in infants & young children assesses levels of cognitive, self-help/adaptive, social, fine & gross motor & receptive & expressive language skills, as well as social reciprocity & social communication.By 5-6, iq is tested along with the rest, + specific tests for ad to form a plan for medical, behavioral & adjunct therapies.

In brief: If specific for AD,

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Eric Weisman