Can all hand activities lead to something as severe as carpal tunnel syndrome?

Not necessarily. Although some activities, work related or daily routine, can aggravate or exacerbate carpal tunnel syndrome, not all activities can cause the condition.
Clarification. Agree with prior answers. However, i'd like to look at the question from a different perspective. A great many people with carpal tunnel focus only on computer and keyboard (i.E work related activities) . This is wrong. Any activity that involves up and down motion of the wrist may exacerbate and perpetuate carpal tunnel syndrome in a predisposed individual.
Unclear... Since we really do not know the cause of carpal tunnel syndrome, it is impossible to say what, if any, activities are causative. We see carpal tunnel syndrome in elderly patients with minimal hand activities, for example. It is true that some vigorous repetitive activities may worsen carpal tunnel that is already present, or in a person who is predisposed to the condition.