If I had cleft lip, will it be likely that my future children will have cleft lips and palates too?

Dr. James Sidman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Depends on a lot
If there is nothing in the family history, then there is about a 4% risk of children having this.
However, this might vary depending on a lot of things. A genetics counselor is the best person to see to find out this risk in any specific person. Call the local cleft team to find a genetics counselor that does this.

In brief: Depends on a lot
Dr. James Sidman
Dr. James Sidman
Dr. Nela Cordero
In brief: Cleft Lip
Cleft lip and palate are malformation defect secondary to genetics and environmental factors .
Smoking and alcohol consumption during pregnancy increased risk.

In brief: Cleft Lip
Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. Nela Cordero
Dr. Shontae Buffington