Can I take Xanax (alprazolam) for alcohol withdrawal?

Not recommended. The best thing is to seek help for alcohol withdrawal, which can be dangerous. Check with your doctor and get her/his recommendations for withdrawal treatment. Xanax (alprazolam) doesn't last as long in the body as valium or librium, and there could be a risk of seizures if it wears off and the alcohol withdrawal breaks through. Don't try this at home!
Doctor should decide. Even though xanax (alprazolam) is in the class of benzodiazepines, it is not commonly used for alcohol detox. More commonly Librium is used because it has a much longer half life. Short acting benzos lead to rapid return to withdrawal symptoms. Your doctor should decide what medication you should take for detox. Don't self-prescribe.
Xanax (alprazolam) If prescribed as part of treatment plan, and for short time, although i personally prefer shorter acting benzos such as Lorazepam (ativan).
Commonly used. Xanax (alprazolam) is a benodiazepine. That class of medication is often used to treat the tremors and anxiety that come with alcohol withdrawal. But caution is needed, all benzodiazepines are linked with the potential for addiction, so they should be used sparingly and for short durations.