How does an asthma inhaler help a person with asthma breathe?

Opens breathing tube. Inhaled medications (bronchodialtors) like albuterol, help relax the muscular spasm around the bronchi or breathing tubes. This form of rescue medication can provide rapid relief or prevention of symptoms. Other medications like steroids or steroid/bronchodilator combinations also come in metered dose inhaler form.
Depends. Asthma inhalers either cause bronchodilators (increasing the airway diameter) or decrease inflammation in the airway muscle (anti inflammatory effect). Broadly the two types are known as bronchodilators or inhaled corticosteroids.
Inhaled Steroids. Since asthma has an inflammatory nature, the use of inhaled steroids (cortisone) can minimize inflammation and reduce the severity and number of attacks.