I have hypothyroidism. Does that mean I will be more prone to thyroid cancer?

Dr. TAPAN CHAUDHURI
Nuclear Medicine
In brief: NOT NECESSARILY
Hypothyroidism itself may not put one more prone to thyroid ca but that does not mean that an individual with hypo- thyroidism will never get a thyroid ca at all because one does not know what other factors (genetic, environmental, dietary, immunity etc.
) will play role in developing that thyroid ca. On the other hand, hyperthyroidism, when teated with i-131 may put one more prone to thyroid ca.

In brief: NOT NECESSARILY
Dr. TAPAN CHAUDHURI
Dr. TAPAN CHAUDHURI
Pathology
In brief: Not much more
Thyroid cancer is one of the commoner cancers.
Hypothyroidism per se is not a major etiologic factor, however, any area of chronic inflammation is more prone to cancerous change and hypothyroidism is often associated with chronic inflammation of thyroid gland.

In brief: Not much more
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology