I'm scared the doctor is going to tell me I have testicular cancer. How common is it?

Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology
In brief: Not common.
Other cancers, like renal and prostate are far more common.
Its peak age incidence is 20-40. There are 2 subtypes, seminoma and non-seminoma. Seminoma is highly sensitive to radiation therapy. Staging involves serum alphafetoprotein (afp), b-human Chorionic Gonadotropin (b-hcg), chest x-ray, and ct scan of the abdomen and pelvis. There is 95% cure if treated right.

In brief: Not common.
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
3 comments
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
All true, but fear can be relieved by knowing...one way or the other. It is uncommon, but commonly cured when found, fewer adverse effects when found early. GO, GET Checked!
Dr. Joseph Woods
Thanks! Good comment.
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional
In brief: Get checked
Worse to go undiagnosed.

In brief: Get checked
Worse to go undiagnosed.
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
In brief: See your physician
See your physician, only 1 to 2% malignant tumors of men are testicular tumors, so they are not that common , if tumor is found in testis most of the time it is malignant.

In brief: See your physician
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Arnon Rubin