My mom is a diabetic, and she always has swollen feet. What can I do to help her?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Find the cause
Diabetes do not cause swollen feet.
There are many conditions associated wtih diabetes that can cause swollen feet.There are diabetes medications or medications to treat the conditions associated with diabetes that can cause swollen feet. My recommendation is to find out the cause and treat it. Most of the time it's easily treatable such as switching the medication, use a diuretic or elevate legs.

In brief: Find the cause
Diabetes do not cause swollen feet.
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry
In brief: Elevate.
She may improve with elevation, or she may need compression socks or an oral medication to process some of the extra water she's holding.
See her doctor for an evaluation.

In brief: Elevate.
See her doctor for an evaluation.
Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Jack Rubin
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: Swollen feet
Your mother should be seen by a physician (p).
Being a diabetic means she may also have hbp and possibly some cardiac or kidney disease. Blood work is needed to see if she has her diabetes under control and if she has some kidney problems. If she does not have anything wrong with her heart or kidney, varciose veins may be the cause and a venous doppler study would diagnose them. Have her see a p.

In brief: Swollen feet
Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology