Is it ok to lift weights after shoulder replacement surgery?

Dr. Robert Purchase
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Be careful
The artificial parts of a total shoulder arthroplasty are not as durable as the native joint.
The more you use them the faster they will wear out. This has been clearly shown in hip and knee replacements. I would expect it to be no different in shoulder replacements. I would stick to low weights and intensity lifting. Talk to your surgeon for clarification.

In brief: Be careful
Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Brian Badman
Generally speaking, I usually advise my patients to avoid overhead lifting of nothing more than 20 pounds. Lifting below shoulder height with your arms at your side such as when lifting a grandchild or bag of groceries is ok and won't damage your joint replacement. I don't advise a return to bench press or other type shoulder conditioning exercises unless one is doing lighter weight and higher repetitions. I would agree, the more you load the joint the quicker you will likely wear it out.
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Moderation
Weight training has many health benefits.
However, certain exercises place your shoulder joint and the prosthetic components at risk for premature failure. I generally recommend avoiding military and bench pressing heavy weights, as well as dips. Try to avoid loads across the shoulder that cause the ball to translate on the socket. This causes edge loading of the glenoid component.

In brief: Moderation
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: After healing
In order to replace the shoulder, the majority of shoulder replacements require detaching and reattaching a rotator cuff muscle.
This must heal before lifting through the muscle! after it heals, and after a rehabilitation program, you shoulder be able to return to a lifting program under yours surgeon's supervision.

In brief: After healing
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery