Does Xanax (alprazolam) work for panic disorder?

Xanax (alprazolam) Like other benzodiazepines, xanax (alprazolam) works to block panic attacks, very potent, but long-term use leads to tolerance, and difficvulty coming off of it.
Anticipatory anxiety. In my experience the drugs that r most effective r the ssris & in tough cases maois--xanax is used as an adjunctive therapy for anticipatory anxiety.
Yes. Too well in fact. Most every patient with panic disorder will say that they feel much better right away after taking xanax (alprazolam). All medications in the class called benzodiazapines (xanax (alprazolam) (alprazolam) is one of them) do the same thing. The problem is, they are extremely habit forming and hard to stop. I try and avoid these medications in my practice.
Xanax (alprazolam) panic. By itself Alprazolam does not work. Alprazolam has a very short stay in the body causing tolerance, dependence and rebound anxiety. Between 27% and 37% of patients suffer from comorbid substance use disorder (kessler et al., 2006) and Alprazolam does not confersan advantage over other benzodiazepines in panic disorder(moylan et al., 2011) cognitive therapy and ssri are very effective.