Does Xanax (alprazolam) work for panic disorder?

Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Xanax (alprazolam)
Like other benzodiazepines, xanax (alprazolam) works to block panic attacks, very potent, but long-term use leads to tolerance, and difficvulty coming off of it.

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam)
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Douglas Bey
In brief: Anticipatory anxiety
In my experience the drugs that r most effective r the ssris & in tough cases maois--xanax is used as an adjunctive therapy for anticipatory anxiety.

In brief: Anticipatory anxiety
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
Too well in fact.
Most every patient with panic disorder will say that they feel much better right away after taking xanax (alprazolam). All medications in the class called benzodiazapines (xanax (alprazolam) (alprazolam) is one of them) do the same thing. The problem is, they are extremely habit forming and hard to stop. I try and avoid these medications in my practice.

Too well in fact.
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Leonard Lado
In brief: Xanax (alprazolam) panic
By itself Alprazolam does not work.
Alprazolam has a very short stay in the body causing tolerance, dependence and rebound anxiety. Between 27% and 37% of patients suffer from comorbid substance use disorder (kessler et al., 2006) and Alprazolam does not confersan advantage over other benzodiazepines in panic disorder(moylan et al., 2011) cognitive therapy and ssri are very effective.

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam) panic
By itself Alprazolam does not work.
Dr. Leonard Lado
Dr. Leonard Lado
Dr. Eric Weisman