Noticed a couple of days ago my tounge has a white coat on it. No pain but sometimes I get a numb sensation. What could this be?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Hairy Tongue

I'm not sure the two are related or you noticed them coincidentally.
A white tongue is usually nothing more than the taste buds (filliform) that are elongated resulting in a more white tongue. There is also a condition called "hairy tongue" in which the taste buds are very long and can appear to be "hair" on the tongue. Less likely: thrush.. Usually painful.

In brief: Hairy Tongue

Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: White cated tongue

If you are a healthy person with a normal immune system and not on steroids then white coated tongue is a benign condition and you do not have to worry about it.
With time it will clear.

In brief: White cated tongue

With time it will clear.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna