Why is obsessive compulsive disorder oso common today?

Dr. John Benson

In brief: OCD recognized more

Ocd was once dubbed the 'secret disorder' because sufferers instinctively "hide" it from others, suffering in isolation, feeling very abnormal.
Prevalance may run from 2% to a surprising 4% of population, so literally we previously did not know its rate of occurrence, missing it a lot. Diagnosis better with some standardized screening tools and scales to help nail it down. Publicity adds notoriety.

In brief: OCD recognized more

Dr. John Benson
Dr. John Benson
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Reported

I'm not sure if there are more cases of OCD out there, but since it had come under deeper study, I would say it is better understood, and reported more as such.
Reworded, the number of OCD patients has not likely increased, but our awareness of hem (I hope) actually has.

In brief: Reported

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry