Is generalized anxiety disorder a medical disability?

Dr. Michele Arnold
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: No

Almost all people with generalized anxiety disorder can be treated and are able to work and live quality, productive lives.

In brief: No

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
I disagree. While most cases by definition are mild, some people have episodes of severe anxiety which is disabliing. I also think that it may still qualify as disability for ADA purposes. Severe GAD should be evaluated for panic with agorophobia and may need agressive treatment with med and therapy.
Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: That would depend

On how and how severely it impacts your ability to function in any work setting.
My feeling is that it would be an uphill climb.

In brief: That would depend

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Anxiety

Depends on the severity, although justifying it as a disability is a challenging task.

In brief: Anxiety

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: GAD

In most cases, no it is not.

In brief: GAD

In most cases, no it is not.
Dr. Eric Weisman