Is generalized anxiety disorder a medical disability?

Dr. Michele Arnold
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: No
Almost all people with generalized anxiety disorder can be treated and are able to work and live quality, productive lives.

In brief: No
Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
I disagree. While most cases by definition are mild, some people have episodes of severe anxiety which is disabliing. I also think that it may still qualify as disability for ADA purposes. Severe GAD should be evaluated for panic with agorophobia and may need agressive treatment with med and therapy.
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
In brief: No
Is not a disability.
Many sucessful people have anxiety, depression, diabetes, hypertension. A multidisciplinary team of doctor, social workers, psychologist, psychiatrist, family & friend are needed so you don't fall in the disability trap. We tend to give up too soon. There are exception to the rule after i really evaluate this & call it disability. It could take years, pt don't like that.

In brief: No
Is not a disability.
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Susan Uhrich
In brief: That would depend
On how and how severely it impacts your ability to function in any work setting.
My feeling is that it would be an uphill climb.

In brief: That would depend
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Anxiety
Depends on the severity, although justifying it as a disability is a challenging task.

In brief: Anxiety
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: GAD
In most cases, no it is not.

In brief: GAD
In most cases, no it is not.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali