I have generalized anxiety disorder and am terrified of taking presription meds - what do I do?

In brief: Psychotherepy
Psychotherapy has been proven to be helpful in anxiety but will also help you address your fears about medication use.

In brief: Psychotherepy
Dr. Bernadette Onuoha
Dr. Bernadette Onuoha
In brief: Talking therapy
Medications for anxiety are not really terrific.
Most are habit forming. A much better approach is psychotherapy. Find a therapist with whom you feel comfortable and talk about your anxieties. Anxiety can be a symptom of an underlying depression.

In brief: Talking therapy
Dr. William Drescher
Dr. William Drescher
Dr. Bernadette Onuoha
Talk therapy does work in anxiety disorders but medications also provide benefits and are not all habit forming. A combo of both is best
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Talk Therapy That...
Goes well beyond the line, "tell me how you feel about that.
" first, u really do need someone w/training & expertise in treatment of anxiety problems/disorders. It's vital 2understand what anxiety is, how it ticks & what specific things can help if anxiety starts interfering with ur ability 2function & w/ ur ability 2form/keep relationships. Great source of info here: http://www.Anxietybc.Org.

In brief: Talk Therapy That...
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Dr. Susan Uhrich
In brief: You can be
Successfully treated with cognitive behavioral therapy alone, but the relief you are looking for may take longer to find.
The best treatment is both meds with therapy. Why not talk to your therapist first about your fear of meds?

In brief: You can be
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Eric Weisman