How did I get fibromyalgia?

Dr. Betty Keller
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Unknown
The cause of fibromyalgia is unknown.
People have developed fms after physical, and or emotional trauma, in addition cases have also been seen after a viral or bacterial infection. It is most likely caused by many different triggers and in some people from multiple triggers.

In brief: Unknown
The cause of fibromyalgia is unknown.
Dr. Betty Keller
Dr. Betty Keller
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Pain Management
In brief: Unknown
Although fibromyalgia can be transmitted genetically (it tends to run in families), no one really knows why someone gets it and others do not.
There are some predisposing factors-namely being a woman between the ages of 20-55 years old.

In brief: Unknown
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
In brief: Multiple Factors
To my mind, multiple causal factors are femaleness, delicate female pelvis, multiple childbirths, joint hypermobility syndrome, mundane low back & pelvis injuries, sacroiliac joint hypermobility, obesity, muscle deconditioning, chronic muscle spasm, multiple regional trigger points, chronic pain causal of sleep deprivation with daytime fatigue & depression.
See my full explanation at quora.com.

In brief: Multiple Factors
See my full explanation at quora.com.
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The unifying genetic relationship in fibromyalgia is probably Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS), a known genetic condition.  I have noted that a good portion of female fibromyalgia sufferers satisfy the Bristol Criteria for JHS, and are able to oppose thumb to lateral radial skin, hyperextended elbows and knees, and can place their palms on the floor with knees locked.  Most could put their feet behind their head and back bridge as youngsters and many can do so as adults.  JHS is a disorder with a spectrum of penetrance; with Marfans and Ehlers-Danlos at the clinical severity end of the spectrum.  My speculation is that the trait is conserved in females because it increases pelvic joint (SIJ and symphysis pubis) flexibility during childbirth.  Many of my patients with fibromyalgia and subclinical JHS delivered their fourth or fifth child in minutes rather than hours.  I speculate that repetitive childbirth, in conjunction with the hormone Relaxin, progressively loosens pelvic ligaments.  This functionality would seem to favor infant survivability.  To my mind fibromyalgia results from the effects of a loose ligament-skeletal system attempting to maintain a medial center of gravity via chronic muscle spasm leading to widespread ischemic trigger points (after the work of Shah at NIH).
Dr. David Hardin
Wound care
In brief: Many causes MINE WAS
After suffering an ich (strike) from an avm very sudden onset 6 wks later i believe from muscle imbalance in my neck and spasticity.
My opinion is fibro will ultimately be broken down into a constellation of disorders and saying fibromyalgia will be like saying arthritis or cancer only then will we be able to find one or many cures.

In brief: Many causes MINE WAS
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. David Hardin