I'm a nursing student. How do I deal with loss of a patient?

Dr. Eddie Nakhuda
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Experience
Time, patient & accepting that no one is immortal always more difficult to deal with a young patients death than an older.

In brief: Experience
Dr. Eddie Nakhuda
Dr. Eddie Nakhuda
Dr. Justin Diedrich
The bad news is that it doesn't get better. The good news is that it doesn't get better. You're human. Hang in there.
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Loss
Your school may have some resources for grief counseling.
Often social workers or psychologists work with small groups of students to help them deal with losses of patients. If not, try the student health counseling services usually available through the student health office.

In brief: Loss
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Dr. Theresa Redling
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Takes time
I deal with loss frequently in my field.
It never gets easy, but you can develop the skills to cope with the losses. First, it is okay to feel sad and even to cry in front of the patient's family. Of course , a modicum of control is necessary, as you are a professional. Knowing you did your best to care for the person and then enjoying other healthy escapes will help you cope more effectively.

In brief: Takes time
Dr. Theresa Redling
Dr. Theresa Redling
Dr. Shontae Buffington