How do I know if my baby needs to burp?

In brief: Assume the need
All infants swallow air of variable amounts during feeding.
An infant may slow the feed or squirm as they feel bloated, if so gently place them in a burp position & let them. Some burp easily & some never seem to burp. I only work hard on burping if they tend to wet burp a lot. If they feed well enough to grow normally, i wouldn't worry about the burpless infants.

In brief: Assume the need
Dr. Cornelia Franz
In brief: Noisy Eater
Babies need to burp after eating.
Often they are swallowing air when they breast or bottle feed. You can hear them gulping fluid and air. Fussy eaters may need to burp every couple ounces. In general after a baby eats, burp him/her. Some will burp every time and others will not. You can also lay the baby on his/her tummy after eating and the gentle pressure helps push the burp out.

In brief: Noisy Eater
Babies need to burp after eating.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cindy Juster