How can a clinician assess a patient’s pain?

In brief: Thorough history
Answers that patients give concerning their pain can vary from day to day, hour to hour. A thorough history is critical, even to a point of having a patient keep a pain diary.
Listening to the patient is imperative and then an exam with further tests can follow if necessary.

In brief: Thorough history
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Cheryl White
Pain Management
In brief: Exam and imaging
Pain is what you feel.
What we diagnose is the cause of the pain. Most of us over the age of 50, and many younger, have back malformations that can cause pain. Some diagnoses are obvious to the trained ear, such as "my back hurts here and the pain radiates to there". Others need xrays or mri's so we can "see" inside you. See a trained specialist to get a diagnosis - before treatment.

In brief: Exam and imaging
Pain is what you feel.
Dr. Cheryl White
Dr. Cheryl White
Dr. Ward Dean