How do I explain bipolar disorder to people ?

Dr. Arman Danielyan
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Bipolar disorder
If you do have to explain it to people, the best way is to tell the truth, which is: my mood may change without any specific reasons.
I may feel depressed for a while, and then i may feel unusually happy and "up" for no particular reason. I may say things which do not make much sense, and some people may even feel annoyed by my overtalkativeness.

In brief: Bipolar disorder
Dr. Arman Danielyan
Dr. Arman Danielyan
Dr. Matthew Keener
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: An episodic disease
The mood disorder gets all the press but another way to accurately describe bipolar disorder is an episodic (not always occuring) disorder of energy and metabolism affecting one's brain, behavior, and personality.
It results in changes in mood, energy, sleep, and appetite, and can be treated with medication, therapy, as well as behavioral treatments like sleep modification and exercise.

In brief: An episodic disease
Dr. Matthew Keener
Dr. Matthew Keener