My son has autism and ADHD - what's the best approach to dealing with both?

In brief: Find experienced ped

There is not a 'best approach' to treating children with autism or adhd.
Everything must be individualized-because like snowflakes, no two children are alike. I determine what the most problematic symptoms of adhd and autism are, and then work to manage it. Treatment may include parent training, behavior modification, and medication.

In brief: Find experienced ped

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Mary Ann Block
In my book, No More ADHD, I lay out an approach for finding and treating the actual underlying medical and/or educational causes of the ADHD symptoms. I have found the same to be successful with many on the Autism spectrum as well. I do not use psychiatric drugs to treat medical or educational problems.
Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Specialist needed

I recommend your son be evaluated and treated by a specialist who has completed fellowship training in child & adolescent psychiatry.
In general, my own approach is to focus treatment initially on obtaining optimal control and improvement of autism symptoms. Then, re-evaluate the need for additional treatment focused on remaining adhd symptoms.

In brief: Specialist needed

Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Dr. Eric Weisman