How are depression and anxiety disorders linked?

Yes. Anxiety is an unconscious alert that something is wrong. One of the most prevalent symptoms of a serious depression is anxiety. On the other hand, the stress from constant anxiety can deplete you and actually cause a biochemical depression. Get evaluated and treated by a competent psychotherapist.
Similar symptoms. I think of anxiety and depression as "cousins". An underlying anxiety disorder can cause depression over time and vice versa. Treatment considerations include psychotherapy, medication management, or a combination of these. In addition, reducting stressors, exercise, diet, and being connected to family and friends can help reduce the symptoms of anxiety and depression.