I think my daughter has anorexia nervosa, excessive exercise. What do I do?

Dr. Gamal Boutros
Neurology

In brief: Serious

There is essential criteria to diagnose anorexia nervosa , usually patient can be very thin, they think they are overweight--they have body image distortion-this affect their body systems if doctor diagnose her , therapy is long include social, councelling, nutritional, include hospitalization ask the doctor.

In brief: Serious

Dr. Gamal Boutros
Dr. Gamal Boutros
Dr. Neil Liebowitz

In brief: Anorexia

Anorexia is a complex disease that involve excessive loss of wt (>85% of ideal wt) with either refusal to eat (restrictive) or purging.
There are distortions of body image and loss of menstral periods. Excessive exercise might be part of it but there needs to be the other components. What is excessive? The underlying issue may be body image or some ocd. Open dialogue of why is she doing it.

In brief: Anorexia

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Cindy Juster