What are the most important side effects of taking oral anabolic steroids ?

Dr. Robert Woods

In brief: Risk vs Benefit

Elevated blood pressure, increased risk of cardiovascular disease, liver disease, testicular atrophy, development of breasts in men, increased body hair in women, decreased libido, depression, mood instability, and potential for violence.
There are other side effects, but i thought this list would keep anyone from using anabolic steroids. It seems there is a lot to risk and to little gain.

In brief: Risk vs Benefit

Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Robert Purchase
Add to to the above the risk of sudden death, the reasons for which are poorly understood. As an ex-collegiate athlete in a contact sport (and under-talented at that), I think I understand the motivation to take steroids. From where I stand now, the risks are NOT worth it.
Dr. Natalie Hodge

In brief: Many

shrunken testicles, enlarged prostate, breast development, erectile dysfunction, reduced sperm count, severe acne, high blood pressure and strokes http://www.
health-today.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/sz1.gif

In brief: Many

Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. John Moor
Sports Medicine

In brief: From Dr. Purchase

The list negative effects is long, including both short and long-term effects.
The short list is aggression, manic episodes, acne, alopecia, increased risk of tendon tears, liver dysfunction, liver cancer, hypogonadism, decreased sperm count and mobility, gynecomastia, increased risk of prostate cancer, hypertension, cardiac hypertrophy, and case reports of sudden death. Those are the highlights.

In brief: From Dr. Purchase

Dr. John Moor
Dr. John Moor
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine