I am having surgery on both of my feet, will I be allowed to wear cotton underwear during surgery?

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry
In brief: Depends
This is really a facility dependent concern.
Hospitals and surgery centers all have their own policies. However, I have never had a location decline a patient's request to wear their undergarments if they are not going to be a hindrance. The only time i can think they would decline this, is when the length of surgery requires that a catheter may need to be placed.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Dan Lister
Surgery
In brief: Keep them on.
Most doctors will allow you to keep on your underwear as long as the operation is not near the underwear and the underwear are cotton.
Nylon underwear can cause burns. Also, if you need a catheter during the surgery, you will be required to remove them.

In brief: Keep them on.
Dr. Dan Lister
Dr. Dan Lister
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery