What is plantar fasciitis and how do I know if I have it?

Pain. It is inflammation & dysfunction of the soft tissue on the bottom of your foot. This tissue makes up the tissue support for the arch of the foot. The diagnosis is a made clinically, ie no imaging is usually necessary, that can be made by a qualified medical provider. It typically causes sharp, tearing pain at the bottom of your foot that classically is the worst when you 1st get out of bed.
Plantar heel pain. Plantar fasciitis is pain under heel, usually worst in the morning and after getting up on feet after resting.